Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Mary Lee Mary Lee is offline

Default Graphic Element for Chapter Head

It shouldn't - works fine here doing this:

Click next to the symbol, then Shift+Arrow to select
Change font color, then Cut
Go to EditPaste Special - Picture (Enhanced Metafile)

Got it! This looks like the best option. It would be great if I could
automate it so that I could have the graphic element on the page for all
Heading 1s, but leave it off the TOC and the headers. This way I have to crop
it for each chapter heading, but there aren't that many. (It's just another
thing the engineers won't know how to do later if they have to add a chapter.
I think the manager is trying hard to get the writing part of this project
out of his area of responsibility and back into the writing group.)

If still no success with color, right-click the triangle & choose Edit
Picture & click Yes to convert to a drawing object. The character will be in
a box of its own within other boxes. Drag it away from the others - they can
then be deleted. Tip: You might want to do this in a blank doc and/or use
the Select Objects tool (white arrow) on the Drawing Toolbar, then paste
back into the main doc. You'll also still be able to change the color again
by selecting it & using the Font Color button.

You've lost me here - neither with the autoshape nor with the symbol do I
get anything that says "edit" on a right click.

Right-Click the object, select Format Object (may read as Format AutoShape,
Format Picture, or whatever). In the dialog there is a checkbox on the
Layout [Advanced] page along with a number of other settings. Use the Help
dialog for more info on them.

Found it!

As you can tell, keeping objects in precise locations in an *editable*
Word
doc is an ongoing challenge - especially if handled by multiple users who
may or may not understand the principles behind the scenes. All the more
reason to consider my first suggestion re PDF 8-)

Hope you don't mind - I quoted you some! )

Thanks again,
Mary Lee