Posted to microsoft.public.word.tables
SueT SueT is offline

Default How do I create a custom (text) sort order in Word?

A simpler solution, which I use, is to number the values in the order in
which they should appear. Thus I would use:

1. Not Started
2. Active
3. Transferred
4. Completed

I suppose you could use Search & Replace, after sorting, to remove the
number, punctuation and space at the beginning of each value should it be
unacceptable for them to appear in the finished document.
--
SueT

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

You can't literally create a custom sort order, as that's not supported.

What you can do is insert a temporary column in the table, and put numeric
or alphabetic "tags" in the cells of that column to represent the values to
sort. For example, put an A in the temp column wherever Not Started appears,
B wherever Active appears, and so on. This can be done by a macro if you
have a lot of rows, or if you need to sort often.

Then sort on the temporary column, and finish up by deleting that column.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman

CherylH wrote:
I need to create a custom sort order in Word. My values are in text
format. I do NOT want the sort to be ascending or descending, I want
it to be specific. Is there any way I can do this?

Here are my values and how I want the table to sort:

Not Started
Active
Transferred
Completed