Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Beth Melton Beth Melton is offline

Default Install Office on a Different Computer

Thanks for your email with your rationale behind why you feel an OEM version
can legally be used as a qualifying product on another computer. :-) It's
too bad you were unable to find a link citing the legalities of OEM
licensing.

I still stand by the fact that since an OEM license cannot be transferred to
another computer and the fact that the original version and upgrade are
considered a single product and cannot be separated. If you can't use the
OEM license on another computer then you can't use its license in
conjunction with an upgrade on another computer.

Now, does it work? Sure. Is it legal? I think that's the primary question at
hand. g

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Melton
What is a Microsoft MVP? http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/gp/mvpfaqs

Guides for the Office 2007 Interface:
http://office.microsoft.com/en-us/tr...295841033.aspx

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
That's not my understanding or what I've been told when I've asked about
licensing, which includes OEM . Do you have a link to content that
explains this?

"Bob Buckland ?:-)" 75214.226(At Beautiful Downtown)compuserve.com wrote
in message ...
Hi Beth,

Actually, you can use an OEM edition CD as the qualifying product to
install a retail edition upgrade. Outside of the U.S. there
are some issues that would make precluding that a problem, so the OEM
products are accepted as upgrade qualifiers when installing
Office on another machine.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
You can't use an OEM version of Office as a qualifying product on another
computer. You noted, an OEM version is tied to the computer it is
installed
on and the license cannot be transferred to another computer. The
original
version and upgrade are considered a single product and cannot be
separated.
So if the OEM license is dead it can't be used at all.