Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com is offline

Default Show comments in balloons and no mark up or review pane

Hi, Stefan, as far as I can tell, "Track formatting" in the track changes
options dialog refers only to tracking formatting for the purpose of showing
the markup. And as I described in my earlier posting, I have gotten that
setting to stick. It was very frustrating when I couldn't get it to stick.
I was just on the point of giving up and asking for help when I decided to
try modifying normal.dotm. It works.

My goal has been to _not_ see formatting changes in balloons. For Word
2002&3, I recorded a macro that would accept formatting changes and used it
a dozen times a day. I still use it to get rid of formatting balloons in my
old docs and in new that come to me. How nice it is that I don't have to do
use that macro so often anymore.

As for the Word options keep track of formatting, I've never noticed my
setting not sticking. In W2003, I switched back and forth all the time,
depending on whether my job was to clean up or troubleshoot a doc or to
format or edit it. W2007 has better options for what shows up in the styles
pane, so I leave keep track of formatting on most of the time.

Pam

Stefan Blom wrote:
I haven't tested "Track moves," but I can confirm that "Track formatting"
isn't 100% reliable. It seems as if Word tracks the creation and
modification of styles, even if you turn off "Track formatting" in the Track
Changes Options dialog box. :-(

'Track Moves" is just awful. (1) It only works on complete
"sentences" (as Word defines "sentence") or bigger; (2) it doesn't
work on text of any length that contains Tracked Changes; (3) it can't
be Rejected with Reject Change (I didn't try Accepting, but if _that_
doesn't work, it would be utterly useless); (4) you can't make Tracked
Changes in a Moved passage.

(Track Formatting is just annoying. It insists on using balloons, so
even if you _want_ to record a style change or a font change, it uses
up space that the Comments need. And turning it off, even in the
normal.dotm template, doesn't stick.)

On Oct 10, 1:45 pm, "Pamelia Caswell via OfficeKB.com" u43222@uwe
wrote:
Thanks, I didn't know about track moves (Nearly all my work is still in
the

[quoted text clipped - 19 lines]
Message posted via
OfficeKB.comhttp://www.officekb.com/Uwe/Forums.aspx/word-docmanagement/200910/1