Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Peter A Peter A is offline

Default Sharing documents with custom styles with other firms?

In article c35c4edd-b1c5-48f5-bcae-
,
says...
On Apr 14, 11:17 pm, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:
Seehttp://www.shaunakelly.com/word/templaterelations/index.html

--

I see... so if I send a document to another firm they will see exactly
what we have sent including the styling, but when we get it back we

So for example...

if my letter, fax, memo, blank doc template all have a style ParaLevel
1 which is accessed by ctrl-alt-1 can I somehow keep the keystrokes in
a global template rather than in the letter, fax or memo templates -
because to apply those styles into an 'incoming' document the
keystrokes wouldn't be there even if the styles are as the incoming
document is no longer linked to a template?

Christine

Documents are not linked to a template. When the doc is created, the
contents of the template are copied into the doc and the doc is then
totally independent of the template. You can send the doc anywhere and
all the template stuff will go along.

This is not true of global templates, however. These are also (and more
accurately) called add-ins. An add-in is loaded into Word and is not
related to any particular document. The add-in can provide macros,
toolbars, and custom keystrokes that will be available for any and all
documents you edit. When you send a document, the stuff from the add-in
does not go along with it.

--
Peter Aitken
Author, MS Word for Medical and Technical Writers