Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
[email protected] guanzhi@gmail.com is offline

Default Filename Extensions

Is there some way to keep Word 2003 from apending a ".doc" extension to
a document filename when you save it? For some things, I like to use an
extension that allows me to sort by date. However, to ensure
compatability
between different operating systems, and also to make recovery simpler
if thre should be a system or hard drive crash, I want to stick to the
DOS
8.3 file naming convention. When I save a file in Word 2003, it insists
on
adding ".doc" to the filename. I know that I can then go back and
delete
it but that is extra unnecessary work.