Bill

Graham,
I've got this all copied and I'll try learn or find someone that knows what
to do with it. Thanks to everyone for the help.
Bill

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The original macro saves the document in the location it was opened from (or
if it hasn't previously been saved it will prompt for a filename and
location). The backup location is the path defined in the macro. It should
not be too difficult to arrange a secondary prompt for the backup path eg

Sub SaveToTwoLocations()
Dim strFileA As String
Dim strFileB As String
Dim strFileC As String
Dim strPathA As String
Dim StrPathB As String

ActiveDocument.Save
strFileA = ActiveDocument.Name
With Dialogs(wdDialogCopyFile)
If .Display 0 Then
strPathA = .Directory
Else
MsgBox "Cancelled by User"
Exit Sub
End If
End With
StrPathB = Mid$(strPathA, 2, (Len(strPathA) - 2))
strFileB = StrPathB & "Backup of " & strFileA
strFileC = ActiveDocument.FullName
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=strFileB
ActiveDocument.SaveAs FileName:=strFileC
End Sub

This saves the document in the current folder and provides an opportunity to
choose the secondary folder.
Don't use the macro to save to removable media!

Never ever read from, write to or print from floppy with Word. This is the
most certain method of ensuring document corruption. Copy to the hard disc
and work on the document from there. This is equally relevant to other
removable media such as CDRW.

Bill wrote:
Yes. I did scroll down to "Save in Two Locations". Yes. There is a
link on how to use the code. Yes. I understand that I can substitute
the pathname I want. It appears to me (I don't understand
programming, as I said) you then only have one path to use. What, I
guess, I didn't make clear is that each document I do will have a
different path to go to. I need to be able to change it "on the
fly". If the program could be revised to have it prompt for a new
pathname and/or allow you to browse for a path location (without
changing your default location), that would make my ears perk up! I
would like something to work exactly like "Save As" only without
changing the default drive (I guess I would have saved a lot of time
and typing if I had said it that way in the first place).
Thanks,
Bill

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

Well, now I'm confused. The page I suggested gives you a way to
save the document to 2 separate locations with just one click on a
toolbar, as many times as you want. It sounds as though that
*would* meet your needs, so why didn't the page solve everything?
Did you get as far as scrolling down to the part headed "Save
document to two locations"? The page also has a link to tell you
how to use the code. Was it unclear that you can substitute in your
own filepath for the one in the code?

Not that using File | Send To twice wouldn't presumably work equally
as well.

On 7/8/05 12:29 PM, "Bill" wrote:

Perhaps my wording was a little misleading. For the documents I'm
doing, I need to save in two locations; once for me on my local
drive and once to a network drive for someone else to access. I
also might save more that once if I'm doing a long editing job.
Save As is irritating for this purpose because it changes the
default location along with the save. I've been using Open|right
click on filename|Copy|navigate to save location|Paste. This is
not all that much trouble. I was just looking for something a
little smoother. Thanks for the advice.
Bill

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

It's not my page, and I probably don't know much more about
programming than you. Perhaps Graham Mayor will come along and
help, it's his page. Alternatively, you could take the page and
your problem along to a group with VBA or Programming in the name
(but also Word), and ask there. I'm sure there's a way to adapt
the macro to ask you where, but I haven't a clue how. Or just
explain your problem there and perhaps they can help with the File
| Send To approach.

Why do you need to change to a new location during the Save
process? How often are you anticipating changing locations? E.g.,
let's say you have access to different network drives depending on
your location, you could duplicate the macro and use a different
one depending on place.

Or is it that you want to sort your backups into folders as you
are saving them?

Daiya

On 7/8/05 6:05 AM, "Bill" wrote:

Daiya,
Please bear with me. I know very little about programming. It
appears that you have solved the problem of the changing default
drive. However, it also appears that the backup location is
fixed to one location. I need to be able
to change to a new location during the save process; much like
the "Save As" function does. If I could figure out how to get
the "File/Send To" command to let me enter or browse for a new
location, that would work just fine. Thanks,
Bill

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote:

See he
http://gmayor.com/automatically_backup.htm

On 7/7/05 10:58 AM, "Bill" wrote:

I want to keep a running copy of my work in Word 2003. After
saving my document on my local drive, what is the quickest and
easiest way to save it
again to either a floppy or network drive without (and this is
the important
part) changing the default drive. It looks like "Send To"
might serve this
purpose but I can't figure out how to put in or browse for a
new pathname. Thanks, Bill