Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

Default Endnote numbering at section breaks

I don't know exactly what the problem was in Word 2002, but it doesn't
work well in Word 2003 either. You can certainly have different
numbering styles between sections (say A, B, C,... in section 1 and i,
ii, iii,... in section 2). This is true for footnotes and endnotes.

However, the restarts are obviously wrong or at least confusing. The
following is an example with footnote numbering in a three-section
document:

Section One: Continuous footnote numbering.

1 Footnote in section one.
2 Footnote in section one.
3 Footnote in section one.

Section Two: Footnotes restarts on each new page.
First page:
1 First footnote in section two.
Second page:
1 Second footnote in section two (restarts because it is on a new
page)

Section Three: Continuous footnote numbering.
6 First note in section three.

Apparently, Word counts all of the previous notes, increments by 1 and
therefore the first note is numbered 6. :-(

Of course, it is still possible that the OP's problem was caused by
conflicting Footnote/Endnote settings.

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Daiya Mitchell" wrote in message
.. .
Whenever you get around to it, I'll be interested to hear. I'm

pretty sure
that footnote and endnote numbering are going to behave the same

way,
though, so I don't think *that* makes a difference.

On 1/27/06 2:06 AM, "Stefan Blom" wrote:

Currently I'm not at my home computer, so any further testing will
have to wait until next week. But reading my previous message

makes me
think that what I tested was in fact *footnote* numbering, not

endnote
numbering (if that makes a difference).

--
Daiya Mitchell, MVP Mac/Word