Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Word Office 2003 Slow to Appear

Actually, Word doesn't need to see the printer itself, just the driver. The
printer need not be on; in fact, there need not be a printer physically
connected to the computer. But Word needs to see a driver. This means that,
even if you're printing to a network printer, you need to install the driver
locally.

"W. Watson" wrote in message
et...
I think I'm safe. My printer is plugged directly into the PC via a

parallel
port, and is always on.

Terry Farrell wrote:
Completely the opposite: Word needs to see a printer driver. If the
printer isn't local, then Word may be slowed down as it tries looking
for a Network printer (For example, over a VPN link, this could be very
slow). If it cannot find either a networked printer or a locally
installed printer driver, it may fail to start completely.

Terry

"W. Watson" wrote in message
. net...
Are you saying that if Word knows there's a printer available that it
might slow down the loading of Word?

Terry Farrell wrote:
As well as NAV - specifically the Office Plug-in option - being a
problem, you must also install a local printer driver for Word to see
even when you are not connected to a network or printer.

--
Wayne Watson (Nevada City, CA)

Web Page: speckledwithStars.net