Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Boiler98

Default Multiple People Editing at One Time?

Thanks Jay.

I'll look into the IncludeText and RD fields to see how they work and if we
can use them.

For SharePoint, I just started looking at that earlier today. Our
organization has another tool called ProjectLink which does a lot of the same
stuff, based on what I've learned so far. Do you know of any docs that talk
about all the super cool integration that using SharePoint might buy us?
We do have access to SharePoint as well, but ProjectLink is our little groups
standard way of doing something... probably because the rest of the company
uses SharePoint. -_-

"Jay Freedman" wrote:

Although theoretically Word could be designed along the lines you described,
it wasn't. Word doesn't have any kind of partial document locking mechanism
like a database -- it's the whole document or nothing.

You can use separate documents for the sections, and bring them together
into a single document by using IncludeText fields (and RD fields for
constructing a table of contents and index). To date the Master Document
feature is broken and frequently damages documents, so don't use it
(http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/General/RecoverMasterDocs.htm).

Alternatively, you might be able to use a SharePoint server or a version
control system to manage the checkouts.

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman