Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Stefan Blom

Default Layout tips for "side boxes"

1. A wrapped table is the only object which can span pages in Word
(and it doesn't work in all versions).

2. I have no suggestion for this one. :-(

3. (The table problem) To solve the border problem with tables in
frames, you could use a text box, whose borders would enclose all of
the text box contents (text paragraphs as well as tables).
Alternatively, use a frame but mimic table formatting by using tab
stops, but then you would of course have to make sure that text in
"cells" are limited to a single line.

4. (Placement options) Inside relative to margin for vertical
placement means that the bottom of the frame aligns with the bottom
margin (even-numbered pages) or that the top of the frame aligns with
the top margin (odd-numbered pages).

Similarly for horizontal positions:

Horizontal position: Inside relative to margin on right (odd-numbered
pages) means the following:

|---------|
| |
| | | |
| | | |
| |
| Left margin here
-----------

Horizontal position: inside relative to margin for left (even-numbered
pages) means the following:

|---------|
| |
| | | |
| | | |
| |
-----------

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

wrote in message
oups.com...
Thanks for the reply... but even if I'm not within a frame, having

the
table "wrap" does not solve the problem - the borders and shading of
the surrounding paragraphs are still lost when you get to the table.

I also just tried out the frame solution on the larger document and

but
found more problems.

1) Some of my boxes span multiple pages. And I think frames cannot
span multiple pages. Is there any way around this, or is floating
objects now out of the question?

2) In addition, the frames ignore the footnotes at the bottom of the
page and cover them up, and there doesn't seem to be an option to

place
the frame just above the footnotes.

I think I'll go back to having this as an inline style not within a
frame, but it still doesn't solve my table problem. Any ideas on

how
to get a table to have borders and shading like the paragraphs

around
it, especially if the table is not as wide as those paragraphs?
Or do I have to take a screenshot of the table and reinsert it as an
image? Any other work-arounds?

One more quick question: Where is the help for MS word located? I
found the following on Office Online help:
--
You can position, or place, a frame (frame: A container that you can
resize and position anywhere on the page. To position text or

graphics
that contain comments, footnotes, endnotes, or certain fields, you

must
use a frame instead of a text box.) by dragging it, or you can align

it
with a reference point, such as a paragraph, page, margin, or

newspaper
column. A frame pushes the surrounding text aside. The frame is

always
anchored to the closest paragraph and appears on the same page as

the
paragraph it's anchored to.

Select the frame, right-click, and then click Format Frame.
In the Horizontal and Vertical sections, click the options you want.
--

I love that. "click the options you want". What if I want to know
what the options mean? For example, for vertical placement, what

does
inside relative to margin mean?
Is there a more detailed reference guide provided with Word 2003, or

do
I have to buy a 3rd party book?

thanks for any help you can give!