Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs
Daiya Mitchell

Default Managing Long Documents

Hi Rhino,

The document is 1077 pages of pure text. There are no separations between
the "chapters" other than the text "Chapter 1: Foo", "Chapter 2: Bar", etc.
Therefore, there is no Document Map.

If I go to the effort of formatting the document properly, I assume that I
will have a proper DocumentMap by the end of the process but that doesn't
help me now.

It shouldn't take more than a few minutes to apply, say, Heading 1 to all
your Chapter titles (and Heading 2 to your chapter subsections, if you
want). Especially since you can use a Find for "chapter" to navigate to
them. That will be enough to let you use the doc map.

It's worth the effort. Actually, if you turn on the Doc Map (View | Doc
Map), Word might even recognize your chapter headings and put them in there.
You can try it.

More information:
How to Use the Doc Map
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/documentmap/index.html