Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
SV SV is offline

Default Applying Styles

Greetings,
I'm using Word 2003 and having a very odd time with styles.

I created a template document and used it to create about 20 documents.
During the edit process we decided to change a couple things globally. No
problem, or so I thought. I opened my template document, made the changes,
and saved it (I had to save with a different name, then delete the old one
and rename the new one)....

Now... SOME of my documents seem fine.. some don't change.. and one changed
VERY differently.

I've checked all of them for the template file and they all point to the
same one.

So I started trying to fix it.. and have used WOrd's help and am now very
confused.

First:
If I change the .dot file, should those changes be reflected in files that
use it as the template (next time I open them, I would figure)

Second:
In "Tools/Add-Ins" I see an option for 'Automatically Update Document
Styles".. what is that?

Third:
WHen I highlight a style and select "Modify" I have optoins for "Add to
Template" and "Automatically Update".. I THOUGHT they were for changes to my
document being put into the template file. True?

Fourth (here's the important one).. how the heck do I get changes made in
the Template file to be reflected in the documents? Should it be automatic
on next open, or do I have to have a setting enabled?

Thanks,

Shane