Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Custom Envelope Dimension Limitation

Please reread what Graham is telling you: Do not attempt this through the
Envelopes and Labels dialog. Instead, create a new Blank Document, go to
Page Setup, set the paper size to 6" x 4" (or whatever is the closest size
your printer driver offers as a built-in paper size), and set the margins as
desired. If you must settle for a larger paper size, adjust the margins
accordingly.

Use the Envelope Return and Envelope Address styles (or any others you
choose) to create your document. Use a plain sheet of paper for a practice
run; draw a 6" x 4" rectangle on it (in the position where you will be
feeding your label) and see where your document prints. Readjust the margins
as needed.

"BCB" wrote in message
OK, well, let me try again and maybe someone can explain what I am doing
wrong. If I select a Custom envelope size and select 6" x 4", Word gives

me
an error message that the smallest length dimension it will accept is

6.4".
When I accept that, I then attempt to select, on the same menu screen,

under
Return Address, From Left .5", for example. Word limits my From Left

margin
for the return address to .25". When printing with this envelope margin,

the
return address is off the envelope. Alternatively, I have selected several
other standard envelope sizes, but none allows me to select a From Left

value
that is large enough to move the return address onto the envelope when
printing and using those other sizes places the mailing address in an
inappropriate location on the envelope.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

That is not correct. The only limitation on margins is that the sum of

the
top and the bottom must not exceed the length of the page and the sum of

the
left and the right must not exceed the width.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BCB" wrote in message
Regrettably, Word will only allow a .25 inch adjustment of the

margins,
which
is inadequate to move all type onto the label. I have no idea why the
margins
are limited. It seems completely illogical.

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

Use a size that Word will accept and adjust the margins so that you

get
the
text in the location that you want it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"BCB" wrote in message
I am trying to print an individual label as an envelope (to place on
packages). The label is 4" x 6". When I generate the envelope

address
function, I select Options, then in the drop-down box under

Envelope
Size,
choose Custom. The default margins I get are 6.38" x 4.49". I

overwrite
this
with 6" x 4". I then receive an error message indicating that the
smallest
length Word will let me select is 6.4". I do not seem to be able to

get
around this and when printing the label as an envelope, the return
address
is
off the page. Is there any work around for this? I am using an HP
LaserJet
2550n. HP states that this printer can actually print something as
small
as
5" x 3".