Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Leroy Leroy is offline

Default Priceless Word docs open with boxes everywhere

I'm scared at what has suddenly happened: I was creating a Pdf from a Word
doc and cancelled half-way, but resumed a moment later. PDf created fine. But
now all my Word docs in that same folder open as if they are preparing to
become Pdfs: empty boxes replace images and special headings. Inc redibly,
the backup files on my finger drive come out exactly the same. Cold it be
that I have lost ten years of carefully-crafted, family-history work,
beginning with Win95?

I've tried everything on the toolbox I can see but nothing helps. Even new
Word docs have changed: now they open with a thin text-area margin that
nothing will remove (although is not present on a screen print preview). That
never happened before.

I have WinXP-SP2 , running a self-standing Word 2003 (no Office) that has
worked perfectly up to this moment.

I have Adobe Reader and a program called Doc-U-Desk creates my Pdfs. Neither
Adobe nor Doc-U-Desk hint in their FAQ lists at anything like this happening.

I would appreciate ANY tips that might lead me out of this bind.