Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Priceless Word docs open with boxes everywhere

Does it work OK with Word in its safe mode? Start Word with the CTRL key
pressed.
My guess is that the aborted PDF creation screwed up your Word data key
settings in tools options.
The documents should be OK provided you leave them alone until you have
corrected the settings. Start with tools options view - uncheck picture
place holders.
See also http://www.gmayor.com/what_to_do_when_word_crashes.htm then
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/AppErrors/...peningWord.htm

Leroy wrote:
I'm scared at what has suddenly happened: I was creating a Pdf from a
Word doc and cancelled half-way, but resumed a moment later. PDf
created fine. But now all my Word docs in that same folder open as if
they are preparing to become Pdfs: empty boxes replace images and
special headings. Inc redibly, the backup files on my finger drive
come out exactly the same. Cold it be that I have lost ten years of
carefully-crafted, family-history work, beginning with Win95?

I've tried everything on the toolbox I can see but nothing helps.
Even new Word docs have changed: now they open with a thin text-area
margin that nothing will remove (although is not present on a screen
print preview). That never happened before.

I have WinXP-SP2 , running a self-standing Word 2003 (no Office) that
has worked perfectly up to this moment.

I have Adobe Reader and a program called Doc-U-Desk creates my Pdfs.
Neither Adobe nor Doc-U-Desk hint in their FAQ lists at anything like
this happening.

I would appreciate ANY tips that might lead me out of this bind.