TF

Andy

The answer is that you should avoid using direct formatting otherwise
conflicts with toggled emphasis such as bold, underline and italics will
happen. You can remove the direct character formatting by using Ctl+Spacebar
to reset a character of Ctrl+Q to reset a paragraph. Then apply the new
style to the characters or paragraph.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
: Hi all,
:
: Say I have a character style that is something like "font: arial 8 pt
bold".
: If I apply it to a word in paragraph where the paragraph style already
: includes bold, the text becomes not bold, i.e. it seems to toggle it.
:
: Is there anyway to set up my character style so that it means "not bold"
: rather than "toggle boldness"
:
: TIA
: