Charles Kenyon

I believe that serif fonts are supposed to be easier to read in body text.

I print my documents and want them to look a bit different, so I do use
other fonts, especially in my letterhead.
--
Charles Kenyon

from my ignorance and your wisdom.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Klaus

Well there are font snobs around!

I read an article in The Times a few weeks back: the bigot (I mean
journalist) thought Arial was a boring font only used by boring people and
that anyway using Comic Sans was a moron (or similar words).

Well our company uses Arial for all its technical documents: why would
anyone object to being presented a technical document in Arial? It is the
content that is important; the reader shouldn't be distracted from the
content by using a stylistic layout with a fancy font. Arial is easy to
read
and doesn't distract from the content. One of the reasons he cited it as
being boring is because every Tom, Dick and Harry has it on their
computer:
technically that's a huge advantage. What a tosser!

To add insult to injury I took his attack on Comic Sans personally. I use
Comic Sans for my personal emails: its an informal and easy to read
font
suited to personal use. I wouldn't write a business email or technical
document in that font. The journalist needs a good kicking!

Terry Farrell

"Klaus Linke" wrote in message
You can sometimes avoid the problem if you use a font for the headings
that
looks bold (such as "Arial Black").
Last time I said that I got flamed from here to hell because somebody
thought "Arial Black" was an ugly font for headings, but you may have
other
fonts installed that work... "Arial Black" just happens to be available on
most Word installations.

Regards,
Klaus

"Shauna Kelly" wrote:
Hi Andy

it's like the 2 bolds cancel each other out;

Exactly. So, define your "emphasised" character style as italic, not bold
italic.

If this seems either frustrating or counter-intuitive, consider that
applying styles is giving Word an instruction. You can see the
definitions
of styles in the Styles and Formatting pane, by hovering over the name of
the style. And you can see that it is expressed as an instruction. So
your
style1 might be "Normal + Arial + Bold + 16pt", or some such.

A character style is always applied on top of a paragraph style. All
character styles are defined as something like "Default Paragraph Font +
Bold + Red". That means "The font of the underlying paragraph format +
Bold
+ Red".

So if style "emphasised" is "Default Paragraph Format + Italic", and you
apply it to some text in paragraph style1, you'll get "Normal + Arial +
Bold
+ 16pt + Italic".

And you're right: the on/off properties like bold, italic, underlined etc
act as toggles. So "Normal + Arial + Bold + Bold" displays as un-bold.

Hope this helps.

Shauna Kelly. Microsoft MVP.
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
Thanks for the response Terry. The problem is that I don't see how I
can
avoid direct formatting.

e.g. say I have paragraph styles called style1 and style2 where style2
includes bold.

now say I have a character style called "emphasised" which is bold,
italic, underlined

If I take a paragraph in style2 and then apply the emphasised style to
word within it, the word ends up not bold, so it's like the 2 bolds
cancel
each other out; this is the behaviour I'm trying to avoid.

"TF" terryfarrell%40%6d%73%6e%2ecom wrote in message
Andy

The answer is that you should avoid using direct formatting otherwise
conflicts with toggled emphasis such as bold, underline and italics
will
happen. You can remove the direct character formatting by using
Ctl+Spacebar
to reset a character of Ctrl+Q to reset a paragraph. Then apply the
new
style to the characters or paragraph.

--
Terry Farrell - Word MVP
http://word.mvps.org/

"Andy Fish" wrote in message
: Hi all,
:
: Say I have a character style that is something like "font: arial 8
pt
bold".
: If I apply it to a word in paragraph where the paragraph style
already
: includes bold, the text becomes not bold, i.e. it seems to toggle
it.
:
: Is there anyway to set up my character style so that it means "not
bold"
: rather than "toggle boldness"
:
: TIA