If the linked object is wrapped, you won't see a field when you toggle field
display; it is displayed only when the linked object is In Line With Text.

"Laura" wrote in message
Thanks, Suzanne, but I'm still not sure what you mean. Perhaps it is not

"link" per se, but it certainly is linked. I put the Excel worksheet

object
into the Word doc by doing a "Paste Special" and selecting "Paste Link."
Changes in the Excel file are reflected in the Word document.

I would like other users to be able to change the source file without

having
to repaste all of the Excel tables, even when other sections of the Word

doc
are locked as a form. Is there a way to do this? Why does that option
disappear when other sections of the doc are form protected? Thanks.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

If nothing happens when you hit Alt+F9 (which toggles the display of

fields
from field results to field codes and vice versa), then your link is not

field, and therefore not a link.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Laura" wrote in message
Cindy,
I don't know what you mean. If I select the excel worksheet object or

put
my cursor next to it, & hit ALT+F9, nothing happens. Is a dialogue

box
supposed to open? Or is there a way to have the "path" appear in text

in
the
doc so that it can be edited directly? (Why can't I just select

"Links..."
like usual?!?!?)
Please help!

Thanks

"Cindy M -WordMVP-" wrote:

Hi ?B?TGF1cmE=?=,

I have a Word document that contains tables that are linked Excel

worksheets
(Windows XP 2002). Some sections of the document are form

protected,
but the
sections in which the excel links are found are not (so that they

can
be
manipulated). Unfortunately, when the doc is locked, if I

right-click
on the
linked object and go to "Linked Worksheet Object", I can no longer

select
"Links..." The practical result of this is that there is no way

change
the source document without re-pasting all of the tables, rather

than
through
a dialogue box... is there?

Assuming these objects are formatted in-line with the text, you

should
be able
to edit the LINK field code directly by pressing Alt+F9 to toggle it

on
(and
then off).

Cindy Meister
INTER-Solutions, Switzerland
http://www.word.mvps.org

This reply is posted in the Newsgroup; please post any follow

question
or reply
in the newsgroup and not by e-mail :-)