Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Tony Jollans

Default Word should always display current page number on screen

I'm not sure we're talking about the same thing here. With a quick check I
couldn't find any help topic suggesting any behaviour had changed.

In Normal View you do not see Page Headers and Footers (which is normally
where page numbers are put) - but that has not changed (ever?).

The status bar will still show page numbers in Normal View as it does in
Print Layout View - and they should be correct if background repagination is
on.

--
P^}
"FrustratedofWeybridge"
wrote in message ...
Thanks Tony, but I do have background repagination switched on. According

the online help for Word 2003, unlike previous versions, page numbers are
never visible on the screen in normal view.

If someone can show me that this is wrong, I'll be delighted.

"Tony Jollans" wrote:

If you have background repagination switched off (under Tools Options

General), Word doesn't know what page you are on in Normal View until

you
explicitly repaginate (by printing perhaps). If you want to see the

correct
page numbers, switch backgrould repagination on.

--
H}
"FrustratedofWeybridge"

wrote in message

I find it extremely inconvenient that you cannot see the current page

number
and total number of pages in normal screen view in Office 2003. This

is
information that I look at all the time, as I am often trying to keep

my
documents within a page limit.

Microsoft should not remove important information from the screen in

new
releases of applications without providing an option for the user to
reinstate them.

----------------
suggestions with the most votes. To vote for this suggestion, click

the "I
Agree" button in the message pane. If you do not see the button,

follow
this
link to open the suggestion in the Microsoft Web-based Newsreader and

then
click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=a2eba5d2-85
87-4180-bfc1-e8f8e116ed07&dg=microsoft.public.word.docmanagemen t