Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Greg Maxey Greg Maxey is offline

Default You need to change the paste special

On Aug 7, 3:23*pm, "Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
Maybe your difficulty is in understanding simple English.

PUT THE PASTE SPECIAL UNFORMATTED BUTTON ON YOUR QAT. (In Word. No
idea what to do in Outlook, but you asked in a Word forum.)

On Aug 7, 12:47*pm, MyHandsy
wrote:

Ahhh... I love how people focus on me or my particular situation and not the
essence of my point. This tendency is truly the source of endless hours of
forum entertainment!

My point is this:
I sometimes want to post with formatting (like a table from excel), but
usually not. The formatting option is easy, the non-formatting option is not
and it needs to be. Therefore, setting a permanent option deep within the
bowels of Word misses the point of what I am trying to suggest.

I want/need the option to be on-the-fly... as in the case with products like
"Thunderbird." *Adding a context menu item is not hard, and the current
context menu isn't very large, so there is literally no reason it could not
be added. It would look fine and would appease many people. Those who don't
care could happily ignore it (and proceed to insert all the clip-art they
want, since people who paste with formatting all the time are just those
kinds of people).

In point of fact; I am referring to Outlook 2007 actually but, since it's
using word for the editor, Outlook is not the right product to criticize (at
least not for this part).

"Peter T. Daniels" wrote:
No one here is "within Microsoft."

You don't bother to say what version of Word you use, but you can
simply add the "Paste Unformatted" command as a button on your QAT
(Word2007) or on whichever toolbar(s) you choose (Word2003), using the
Customize procedure.

On Aug 7, 11:04 am, MyHandsy
wrote:
I am (somewhat) sure someone within Microsoft is concerned about the
usability of Office. In particular, I am referring to the Word component. As
it turns out, Word is quite bad at making specially formatted items look
normal, and it is almost never the case that I even wanted it to try.

So, why do you people think it's OK to bury the "past special" option? In
order to paste something as simply text, I have to get it into the clipboard
and then go back to word (keystroke) select the past menu (mouse movement and
click) select paste special (mouse movement and click) select "unformatted
text" (mouse movement and click) then click "ok" (mouse movement and click).
Not acceptable. I am surprised you haven't been sued for causing CTDs for
this feature alone. Four mouse movements, four clicks, and a keystroke is
very bad for something that is routinely used.

On the bright side, it is far faster for me to open notepad (mouse movement
and click), paste (keystroke) select all (keystroke) and copy (keystroke),
and go back to Word and paste (keystroke). One mouse movement and four
(consecutive) keystrokes... hundreds of dollars for the office suite and I
have to rely on notepad to launder my clipboard items?

Whatever data you've collected suggesting that it's better to make it
difficult to paste just the text is just wrong. There is absolutely no excuse
for a "paste as plain text" option to be missing from the context menu in
Word. If there is a religious war going on inside Microsoft preventing this
from happening, please fire a lot of people.

click "I Agree" in the message pane.

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...id=cc44...Hide quoted text -

Are there no curtesy requirements for posting here? A good teacher
recognizes when his students are having difficulty with the material,
and pitches his approach appropriately. The teacher should never
shout!

You learned this little jewel of politness where?

Oh, and this time you did! Like most MVPs, you simply called it
"QAT."