Posted to microsoft.public.word.formatting.longdocs

Default Word 2003 messes up my page numbering

Restarting page numbering is the same in Word 2000 and Word 2003; there is
no reason that opening your document on a different computer or in a
different version would make any difference. Are you using the Insert | Page
Numbers feature or the Insert Page Number button on the Header and Footer
toolbar? If the latter (preferred), click on the Format Page Number button
in each section and select "Continue from previous section."

"*((({" wrote in message
I use Word 2000. I saved a document onto my USB drive. I went to
school, plugged in the USB, and opened the document. The school
computers have Word 2003 on them. I worked on the document. When it
was finished, I inserted page numbers into the footer. Instead of
numbering the pages from 1-207, it started each section over again.
I'm not sure if it started renumbering each time it got to header 2,
header 3, or a page break.

I couldn't get the numbering to go straight through, so I printed the
document without page numbers. This is a PITA.

I'd like to know how to open my documents WITHOUT adding in the
new-fangled Word 2003 features. Like messed up page numbers. Is
there a setting that will let me preserve the features that I like and
that are in my Word 2000 documents?

*(((({