Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor Graham Mayor is offline

Default Split a mail merge document into individual documents

The mail merge function can be fussy if you choose a selection of records -
and particularly if you don't choose the first record. Does it work if you
merge all the records.

If you close Word and Outlook, are there any ghost versions of Winword.exe
left running (CTRL+ALT+DEL Processes). If there are close them before
trying again.

"User" wrote in message
I installed your add-in (for 2007) earlier this week and it worked like a
charm. But, when I tried to use it again today, it completed the merge as
normal, without splitting the documents. I opened Word before Outlook and
used the Start menu to do so. I even tried reinstalling the add-in to
make
sure it is the most current version (in case it was updated in the past 3
days). None of that fixed the problem. The database is an Excel
spreadsheet.

Any ideas?
Thanks!

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Which macro? From your description it seems you may mean the add-in at
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm
Have you followed the instructions to the letter? Is the add-in stored in
the correct folder? Have you started Word from the start menu and not
from a
document?

Jen wrote:
Hi,

I have downloaded the macro to enable me to split my mail merge
document but the macro appears not to run when i complete the mail
merge and when i press ok, nothing happens and it continues to run
the mail merge as normal.

Any suggestions?

Many Thanks, Jen

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

To print individual documents, you do not even have to do that, just
specify the Sections of the document that you want to print in the
File Print dialog.

However, that is NOT a solution to what was originally desired,
which was to create a separate document for each record in the data
source.

Sometimes non-techie solutions just don't cut it.

--
Hope this helps.

services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"non-techie solutions" non-techie
wrote in message
There is actually a much easier route you can go that uploading an
add-in. See simple instructions below. You just need to replace the
section breaks with page breaks and viola!

1) Go to Find/Replace
2) Click on More
3) Click "Special"
4) Find "Section Break"
5) Replace with "Manual page break" and click ok

Now you'll be able to save/print whichever pages you want.

"Kirstin" wrote:

Doug took a look at my template and found that I had somehow
created sections. He deleted them and now everything works like a
charm! Thanks so
much, Doug, for taking the time. Really appreciate it!!!!
--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

"Kirstin" wrote:

Hi Doug,

Thank you for offering to take a look. I'll email the two files
under seperate cover.
--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

If you are getting an error message when you are not trying to
create individual documents, then the problem would appear to be
with something
else.

If you want to send me the mail merge main document and the data
source, I
will create the letters for you and send them back.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail yourself
of my services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kirstin" wrote in message
news I've tried multiple formats:

\\cee-data\share\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
S:\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
\conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative
conference forms\2010\Kate Adams\2007 Narrative

I've tried creating a new merge doc without using the individual
folder
option and still get the error message. I'm stumped and running
out of
time.

--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

"Doug Robbins - Word MVP" wrote:

What is typically displayed by the Folder:
"\\cee-data\conference forms\"
&
[GradYear] & "\" & [FirstLast] &
"\" & [Enter Year] field in your query?

If you create a macro containing the code

FileSaveAs "what is displayed in as asked above"

and run it with any document active (a blank one will do),
does it save
the
document correctly or do you get the same error message.

I think that the \\ may be causing a problem.

--
Hope this helps.

Please reply to the newsgroup unless you wish to avail
yourself of my
services on a paid consulting basis.

Doug Robbins - Word MVP

"Kirstin" wrote in message
I was so happy when I found this macro of Grahams. It sounds
like it
will
do
exactly what I need. Unfortuantely, when I run it I get the
following
error:

Run-time error 4608: Value out of range.

I'm exporting a dbase file from Access 03. In the query I've
added the
Folder/File Name field:

Folder: "\\cee-data\conference forms\" & [GradYear] & "\" &
[FirstLast]
&
"\" & [Enter Year]

The macro runs; I tell it to split and then I get the error.
I click
OK
on
the error window and a single merged document opens. What
could be
wrong?
Is it because I have spaces in my folder names? The file
names in the
sample
have spaces, but maybe that doesn't translate to folder names.

Any help would be most appreciated.

TIA~
--
Kirstin McDonald
ITC

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See
http://www.gmayor.com/individual_merge_letters.htm

leedelee wrote:
How do I take a mail merge document and then split it up
into individual documents to save each letter in a separate
place?