Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers

Default Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands closer to the surface"

I don't think what you're saying contradicts what I've said. How many of
your users would have customized the UI *on their own*? Yes, users, when
properly trained, will use macros and shortcuts when they are provided, but
the average user does not create these macros and shortcuts. That's not to
say that they wouldn't if they realized they could; most of them just never
realize this. Which is why user customization is going to be one of my top
three points in the Word classes I start teaching this week. I hate to think
that the skills users will learn in these classes will be washed down the
drain if they get Word 2007, but we'll cross that bridge when we come to it.

wrote in message
oups.com...
I don't find that to be true at all. I coach a firm of 55 employees
in 4 offices, most of whom were with the company when it switched from
WP to Word a few weeks before I arrived, so their learning curve was
unpleasant. Naturally with that mindset they'd been adapting slowly.
The two most critical things that appealed to them and uplifted their
collective viewpoint were macros and keyboard shortcuts.

Once they were shown these things, they adored them, and were unnerved
(often greatly) when a new or foreign PC didn't have them. Everyone
seems to appreciate keyboard shortcuts and the ability to remap them.
(Most never use the Bold or Italic buttons anymore. It's just easier
not to move your hand from the keyboard.) I placed a menu-building
add-in on each system to simplify over 70 procedures, often complex
ones that no average user would bother to do manually. It runs each
of these macros in 2 or 3 clicks or keystrokes, and the staff is now
in love with it. Word 2007 will slow or stifle this.

I think 5 concepts now being widely offered as fact are simply wrong
at base: (1) the average user is too dumb & lazy to want to improve
efficiency or reduce fatigue; (2) power users are close-minded
curmudgeons who are resistant to any change on general principle; (3)
users as a whole are such utter sheep that everyone will eventually
submit to Microsoft's peverse rug-yank; (4) the ribbon is more
inherently more efficient than the menus; and (5) clicks or keystrokes
that invoke commands are a significant part of the document-creating
or -editing experience. (They're not; most average users' time spent
at the computer is used for typing or scrolling, not finding specific
commands on menus or buttons. That much should be obvious.)

Word 2007 may look cute to newbies or amusing for the idle or self-
employed, but anyone who works in a standard office setting facing
normal concerns about deadlines and overhead will be hopelessly
injured if they upgrade.

I'm with Larry. I think 2007 is an abomination that invites revolt.
Yes, I'm a power user. Folks here seem almost willing to imply that's
a bad thing.

Mark

Suzanne S. Barnhill wrote:
But can you accept that the majority of users do NOT use Word the way

you
do? The vast majority of them would never think of going to the trouble

customize Word this way even if they were told how, and most have no

desire
to use Word this way. I find that most users are not interested in

keyboard
shortcuts at all.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Larry" wrote in message

Also, if memory serves correctly, years ago Beth helped me with macros

prevent the vertical and horizonal scroll bars from ever appearing

unless
wanted them (and helped me with a lot of other things as well). It

was a
bit of a trick. Word just wanted those ugly scroll bars to keep

popping
up.
Only serious customization could get around that. But once we had it,

it
was never an issue again. I have simple keystrokes to toggle the

scrollbars
when I want them, not when Microsoft wants them. My aim in that case

and
generally has been to keep all unnecessary clutter out of the Word

window.
So I got rid of all toolbar buttons that I don't use, and replaced the
Standard and Formatting toolbars with one simplified toolbar. I never
display the Ruler except when I need it. Also, the blue background

screen
is "cooler," easier on the eyes. So the whole look is simple and

pleasing
to the eye. To me, the way Word looks when it opens in its default

state
is
an incredible eyesore.

The other thing for me is to have an integrated environment, where I

do
things with the minimum of keystrokes or mouseclicks. For example, I
developed a single key command (Num1) to toggle the Blue background

off
and
on. I have a single key command (Num2) which not only toggles the
capitalization of a word, but if there's a selection going up to the

start
of a word, it cuts the selection and toggles the capitalization of the

first
letter of the word immediately following the selection. I have three

custom
menus with many macros I use constantly, every one of those macros

takes
just two keystrokes, Alt+Letter, Letter. I'm still not sure if it's

posible
to replicate something like that in 2007.

Things that take two steps in the older versions (even without my
customizations), take three or more steps in 2007, things that take

one
step
in the older versions (like opening the Window menu via keystroke)

take
two
steps in 2007. This is totally unacceptable. The whole point is

that
things that you do often be done with the minimum of keystrokes.

So my approach is to make Word's look as simple as possible, and

Word's
operation as simple as possible.

Word 2007 is not only the opposite of that, it basically makes it

impossible
to customize around it. It imposes so much more on you (that

incredibly
complicated, hyperactive Ribbon) and makes it impossible to escape it.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I think it's impossible to persuade you in general, Larry. ;-)

If you want the truth, when I saw the new UI you were one of the

first
people that came to mind. I thought, oh my, when Larry sees this

he'll
have
a heart attack. I'm thankful to see you've taken a look at it and

are
still
around. grin

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade

me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of

operation
was
for the Greater Good.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
Styles were merely an example that came to mind at the time.

You know, Larry, just based on previous discussions I've had with

you
on
topics of an even more simiplic nature I know there nothing I can

say
you
that will change your mind...