Graham Mayor

Now we are all getting confused

There was nothing wrong with your original response, but for the necessity
to ensure that the changes to the default are actually saved in normal.dot.
The circumstances whereby normal.dot changes are saved are twofold:

1. If tools options prompt to save normal.dot is *unchecked* then
normal.dot is saved automatically on exit. Most people do not have this
option set, because it is a good plan to decide for yourself whether to
allow such changes.
2. If the above option is *checked* then changes are not automatically
saved, but may be saved at the prompt to save.

I know of no other circumstances, not caused by a fault condition, that
would cause changes to normal.dot to be saved automatically.

If the changes are not saved to normal.dot then they are active only for the
current session. However, it is possible to set Word to be the e-mail editor
of Outlook and closing Word does not necessaily close it completely if it is
the Outlook editor *and* has been used to edit a message from Outlook *and*
Outlook remains open. You can see this if you press CTRL+ALT+DEL and check
the running processes, for winword.exe would still be list.

Under such circumstances you could close Word directly and you would get no
prompt to save normal.dot and you could re-open Word and the default would
still be as you had set it, because Outlook is holding normal.dot open
throughout. You would thus only get a prompt to save normal.dot if you
closed *both* Word *and* Outlook. If you then reject the option to save
normal.dot the original setting is reverted to.

CyberTaz wrote:
Hello Graham & Suzanne-

I certainly don't want to beat a dead horse here, and my intention is
not to challenge anyone, but I would like to better understand this
issue.

Before submitting my original reply I did exactly the same thing in
Word '02 & '03 with the same results. (I typically test before
posting).

What I did was:

With a new blank document open-

1) In ToolsOptions I made certain that there was _no_ check to
prompt for saving normal.dot,

2) I then went to FormatFont & changed to another font, clicked
[Default], & clicked Yes to the prompt to change normal.dot

3) I then Exited from Word without any prompt to save changes to
normal.dot and clicked No to saving the open document.

4) When I launched Word again (is this not a different 'session'?),
the newly specified font was set as the default. (Does this not
indicate a 'permanent' change?)

5) I just did exactly the same thing here at home where I run Office
2000 in WinXP Pro under VPC7 on my Mac, with exactly the same results.

According to my interpretation of your postings this should not be
the case:

Suzanne- persist during the Word session & If you don't save
them when you quit Word, then they are not saved permanently.

Graham- There is no evidence of that happening here. & the
original questioner did ask for 'permanently'

Please help me understand why my original post was not adequate to
answer the question? What am I missing in the subsequent posts? I
certainly don't want to misinform anyone in any way.

Thanks for your indulgence |:)

On 3/26/05 10:44 AM, in article ,
"Graham Mayor" wrote:

That's my understanding also - the original questioner did ask for
'permanently'