Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How do you re-number lines if Office/Word?

If each song really takes up only one line and each set only one page, you
could use line numbering. On the Layout tab of Page Setup, click Line
Numbers..., check the box for "Add line numbering," and choose "Restart each
page." Assuming there's some sort of heading on each page (Set 1, Set 2,
etc.), select this paragraph, go to the Line and Page Breaks tab of Format |
Paragraph, and check "Suppress line numbering."

But I think using outline numbering would be much easier. You define a Set
style that is linked to Level 1 numbering. Both the number and the "Set"
prefix are part of the numbering, so you don't need any other text. You
define a Song style that is linked to the Level 2 numbering, set to restart
after Level 1. Neither style needs to have any kind of fancy formatting; it
can be just the same as Normal or Body Text except for the numbering. Adding
numbering then becomes a simple matter of applying the style, and songs will
renumber automatically as they are moved from one position or set to
another. It takes only a couple of minutes to set this up initially and zero
time to maintain afterward.

That said, there is no reason you can't equally well just apply the List
Number style to all your songs. The only hitch with that is that you have to
manually restart numbering for each set.

"BigDogMurphy" wrote in message
Define an outline-numbered list as described at
http://www.shaunakelly.com/word/numb...Numbering.html. Use

Level 1
for the set number (Set 1, Set 2, etc.) and Level 2 for the song number.

The
songs will renumber automatically when reordered and when dragged or
copy/pasted from one list to another.

Is there no simpler way to do this. I am just about to the point of
trashing this Office set-up and getting word 5 and use it in the OSX
"classic" environment, which allows one to revert to previous software
versions only useable in older systems.

This whole process you have directed me towards, is really complicated,

and
after reading it, it requires using features for whixh I otherwise would
never use.

Is there a more simple way, to re-number lines on each page, independent

of
the other pages???

dog