.

OK, you've given me a challenge for a learning experience! S I've printed
this info and will be brave and try it later on (got a busy schedule today).
Thanks!

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Well, the reason I didn't go into that is that it probably won't be easy
unless you've by any chance got two paragraph breaks between entries. If you
have, then you can use Find and Replace to look for paragraph breaks (^p)
and replace with line breaks (^l). You then replace two line breaks together
(^l^l) with a paragraph break, and you're home and dry.

But if you have the whole list as a solid chunk--that is, line 1 is a name,
line 2 is an email address, line 3 is another name, line 4 another email
address, and so on, you'll have to do this semi-manually. You can insert a
line break manually by pressing Shift+Enter; if you select the paragraph
mark first (display nonprinting characters so you can see them), it will
replace it. But that would be very labor-intensive. Instead, use F&R to
replace ^p with ^l, but instead of using Replace All, just alternate Find
Next and Replace judiciously to replace only every other paragraph break.

"." wrote in message
Thanks, Garfield and Suzanne. Suzanne, sorry to be dumb, but how do I
change the break from a paragraph break to a line break?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

That's probably because you have a paragraph break at the end of each

line.
If you change the break between the name and the email address to a line
break, then Word will sort the paragraphs correctly.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"joymp" wrote in message
OK, I took another look and I see where the names are under the long

line.
Now I have another problem. I see that it mixed in the e-mail

addresses
(which were indented) alphabetically. I was able to accomplish this

in
WordPerfect and it only alphabetized the names, not the indented

e-mail
addresses; it left them under each respective name. I'd like to have

the
list in both Word & WordPerfect so I can share it with those who only

have
Word.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

Scroll down a ways to see the names. When you sort a list

containing
blank lines and non-blank lines, all of the blank lines will end up
together at the beginning of the document (sort order = nothing

before
something).

Joy wrote:

I answered this in the newsgroup. I tried that and still got the

same
black
line with the names having disappeared. BTW, each name was on a
separate
line with its e-mail address indented under it; then a line space
before the
next name.

"garfield-n-odie" wrote:

The Sort command happens to be under the Table menu, but your

names
don't have to be in a table. Each name should be on a separate

line
though. Select the list of names, and click on Table | Sort.

joy wrote:

IWhen I look in Help within MS Word (2003) it says How to sort a

list
or
table, and then it only tells how to sort in a table. This is

just
one long
list of names and I want to alphabetize the list. I don't want

them
in a
table. If I try to put them in a table and sort from there I get

long
black vertical line and the names disappear. Can anyone help?

TIA.