Bandicoot

Default Creating cross-ref to equation label caption

I have created a custom type of caption label called "equation". I then
create equations in Word 2003 (often using Equation editor) and then insert
the equation caption on the same line (right aligned to a tab on that line
with leading dots).
In other parts of the document I then want to be able to say "See equation
12" (or whatever). If I try to insert a cross-reference to equation 12 to do
this automatically, I end up with the entire equation as well as the label
being inserted, even if I only ask for the 'only label and number' to be
inserted. I can achieve the same effect by selecting the equation label and
then creating a bookmark and then using the cross-refernece feature to the
bookmark, but this is clumsy and means lots of bookmarks, etc. Is there some
way to create a cross-reference to a user-defined caption label in this
fashion?