Melissa

Default Creating dynamic cross reference links in a Word document

1. My recommendation is to use cross reference (Insert Reference
Cross-Reference) and ensure the "Insert as hyperlink" check-box is ticked.
2. If your exhibits are documents or sections inserted at the end of the
main text as appendices, then use existing header or create a new heading
style, e.g. Appendix Header and apply numbering to it. For each exhibit, add
a new Appendix heading before the text begins. So when you do No. 1 above,
reference to this heading.

If you move the exhibits around or add in/ delete exhibits, the numbering
will remain consistent and accurate.
3. For "auto-numbering" within text, place cursor after the word "Exhibit"
and go to Insert Field. Choose AutoNum from FieldNames and click OK. Each
subsequent time you do this will increment the numbering by 1.

"torajudo" wrote:

We have a client that has created a word 2000 template for his office. This
template will make reference to sections of text that look something like
this:

"As you can see in Exhibit (XXX) the plaintiff will need to justify his
expenditure.

.
.
.
further down in the document:

"Please refer to Exhibit (YYY) for details about this case"

These cross reference links - ie the words Exhibit (XXX), Exhibit (YYY) will
"jump" to the actual exhibits (which appear as separate documents included in
the appendix of the larger document).

My question:

1. What is the best way to create these jumps - as cross-references /
hyperlinks / or bookmarks in the document?

2. The client wants these cross reference links to be "dynamic" in nature.
What I mean by this is that if they have the following in the document:

Exhibit (1)
Exhibit (2)
Exhibit (3)
Exhibit (4)

If they want to "insert a new Exhibit (2)" between the old Exhibit (1) and
Exhibit (2), all the other Exhibits and their respective numbers would be
automatically re-numbered so the pattern would look like this:

Exhibit (1)
Exhibit (2) ---- the new Exhibit (2)
Exhibit (3)
Exhibit (4)
Exhibit (5)

What is the best way to do item #2. I am thinking some sequential field in
word

Here is more clarification:The dynamic numbering in the document is to
appear within any giving paragraph. So for example:
______________
text text text text text (Exhibit1)text text text text text
text text text text texttext text text text texttext text text text
text(Exhibit 2)text text text text text text text text text text....

text text text text texttext text text text texttext text text text texttext
text text text text(Exhibit 3)
Now, the client would like to be able to insert additional text with a "new"
Exhibit 2, for example, between the exisitng first two "Exhibits". If the
client enters more text, then the current Exhibit 2 will become Exhibit 3
(and the current Exhibit 3 will automatically change to Exhibit 4) because of
the added text and new Exhibit 2.

My thought is to modify Caption Style so it is not bolded, centred text.