Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default Excel Data Filtered for Unique records

I am fairly sure that if you filter "in situ" in Excel, you will only be
able to use the filtered data successfuly in Word merge, directly from
Excel, if you
a. also sort the data so that all the records you want are right at
the beginning of the list
b. select the filtered data and create a range name
c. re-connect to the Excel workbook from Word and select the range
name as the data source rather than the worksheet.

However, in that case you would probably be better off if you could
simply sort the data so that the data you want is at the beginning, then
apply and use a range name. Otherwise, I am not sure you can avoid
including records that you do not want.

Alternative approaches a
a. filter in Word (the facilities in Word are a bit limited, but may
be enough
b. copy/paste the filtered data into a word document and use that as
the data source. However, if you are filtering to eliminate duplicates,
I do not think that will work either
c. use Word VBA's OpenDataSource method to specify a filter in SQL -
typically a SELECT DISTINCT - this can be more flexible than using the
Word user interface to do it, but obviously requires that you either
know or learn enough VBA and SQL to do it.

Perhaps that's enough to suggest that it might be simpler to make a copy
of the filtered data in Excel despite the downside.

Peter Jamieson

http://tips.pjmsn.me.uk

George wrote:
I am using an Excel 2007 data file which I have filtered for unique records.
I want the file to merge with my Word Template as it shows. However, the
filtering is removed when I perform the merge.
How can I retain the filtering (I don't want to copy field values to a new
worksheet because I still want the formulas to work)??

Thanks in advance!