Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default eliminate "copy" of "saved as" document showing up in file list

Hi Kaboodle,

The 'squiggly line' named file is a lock/owner file, that Windows uses to indicate that a Word document is in use. It only appears
if you have setup Windows explorer File Options to display normally hidden files.

The temporary file is by design and is deleted by Windows (usually) when you close Word.

================
"Kaboodle" wrote in message ...
When I "save as" to another document, my original doc shows up in the file
list with the squiggly line in front of it until the doc is saved with
another name. Problem is, this form of the orig doc sometimes ends up
staying there, making it necessary to delete it. We used to have this
problem all the time until we switched to Office 2000. Now, with Office
2003, it's showing up again. However, it's not doing that on my home
computer, so there must be something that can be turned off, but I can't find
it. HELP......thanks
--

Bob Buckland ?:-)
MS Office System Products MVP