Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Stefan Blom Stefan Blom is offline

Default cross-references and captions - again

Cross-references depend on hidden bookmarks. If the pasted text does
not include the bookmark, the cross-reference won't work. What happens
if you make sure to copy the entire paragraph to the other document,
and then update the figure and cross-reference fields?

--
Stefan Blom
Microsoft Word MVP

"Ron" wrote in message ...
Well, I still can't figure out how to get my cross-refernces and

captions to
update properly.

So if anyone has any ideas, they'd be greatly appreciated.

Here's my old post:

I work with large user manuals containing many figure and table

captions
which are cross-referenced.

Since I'm writing similar documents for multiple products, I do a

lot of
copying and pasting paragraphs, tables, etc. between sections and

documents.

My basic problem is with keeping the numbering of my

cross-references tied
to their respective captions. If I copy/move one section to another

place in
my document, the captions can be updated, but their cross-references

can't.

How can I keep a cross-reference "linked" to its corresponding

caption
regardless of where I copy/move them to?

Here's an example.

Imagine the following is in section 2 of "document 1".

The physical dimensions of the ???? are listed below and shown in

Figure
2-2.

some image here

Figure 2-2: ???? Physical Dimensions

So, the first sentence has a cross-reference (Figure 2-2) to the

cation
(Figure 2-2) in the table.

Now, I copy the sentence and table above and paste it into section 5

of
"document 2". I update my fields and the following is the result.

The physical dimensions of the ???? are listed below and shown in

Figure
2-2.

some image here

Figure 5-9: ???? Physical Dimensions

You see how the cross-reference remains as "Figure 2-2", but the

caption
updates as Figure 5-9.

What I would like to have happen is that both the cross-reference

and
caption update to the correct placement in the new document; updated

"Figure 5-9" and Figure 5-9 for the above example.

In this way, you could imagine the cross-reference and caption are

"linked"
together in some way and are always updated correctly regardless of

where
they are pasted to in another document.

I hope this explanation helps.