Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Ron Ron is offline

Default cross-references and captions - again

Stefan,

I rarely define bookmarks myself, so all the bookmarks are autogenerated.

I have made sure to copy all of the paragraph to the other document, but the
same thing always happens, the caption updates but the cross-reference
doesn't.

What seems to be happening is that Word "sees" there is an existing caption
at 2-2, so it doesn't want to update the newly inserted cross-reference. Of
course Word doesn't know that I want to move 2-2 from doc 1 to 5-9 in doc 2.
Sometimes I even need to shuffle my paragraphs around within the same
document, and I get the same problem.

I really need the self updating feature of captions and cross-references,
but I need them to be "smarter".

I'm beginning to wonder if there's a VB way around this, so the link between
the caption and cross-reference could be hard coded and self-updating,
regardless of the number of times it's inserted into a document, or moved
within a document.

Thanks for your help