Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields

Default inserting quotation marks with IF

Use either

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Details }" "" "{ QUOTE 34 }Summary{ QUOTE 34 }" }

or if you need a lot of them it might be clearer to use something like

{ SET q { QUOTE 34 } }

at the beginning of the document then use { q } where you need the qutoe
mark, e.g.

{ IF "{ MERGEFIELD Details }" "" "{ q }Summary{ q }" }

(All the {} have to be the special field braces that you can insert using
ctrl-F9 - you cna't just type them on the keyboard.)

Peter Jamieson
"hbear" wrote in message
I'm creating a bibliography through a merge and would like to insert
quotation marks around one field if another field contains text. The
criteria is simple: if "Details" is not blank, insert """ (that's a single
quotation mark) in front of "Summary", with a similar statement at the end
of
"Summary". I've tried both the IF, Then, Else... box and manually
inserting
the statement myself. Neither is working. I'm not getting quotation
marks
under any circumstances. I'm guessing it's some confusion surrounding
having
three quotation marks in a row ("""). What's the workaround for this?
Adding spaces doesn't help (of course).