Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to I write a cover letter?

If you had misspelled "domestic" once, I would have let it pass. But it was
misspelled the same way twice, and there was also a typo in your subject
line. I am a copy editor by trade, so I notice such things, and it is part
of my job to help people put their best foot forward in writing. If I had
said nothing else, I would deserve your rebuke, but I did offer all the
helpful suggestions I could think of, given that this is, as Charles points
out, a forum devoted more to the "how" than to the "what" of letters. For
more on the how, see http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/Letterhead.htm

"Tgob" wrote in message
Please forgive me. I didn't realize there were so many pedants in here.

DO know how to spell, quite well as a matter of fact. It was a simple

ERROR
on my part. I was probably typing too fast and, horrors, neglected to use

my
spell check. I did not realize that I would be "graded" on my content,
spelling, and/or grammar. I was simply trying to get some help in my
endeavor (big word-----------aren't you impressed?). I now regret posting
anything. Perhaps I will study the "rules" more closely next time.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

You explain that you have been staying home with your children. This is

perfectly good reason for a gap in employment. I would imagine that the

main
purpose of your letter would be to get an interview, during which you

can
bring out your experience. Having a family member who works for the

court
system might actually work to your disadvantage if there are

anti-nepotism
rules, but the family member might help you get a foot in the door for

an
interview. You'll probably have more success if you spell "domestic"
correctly.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Tgob" wrote in message
I am reentering the employment field after staying home with my

children.
am applying for a Domestice Violence Court Advocate position. How do

word
the cover letter to fill in the gaps in my years of employment? I

don't
have
court experience but I have personal experience with domestice

violence
and I
have a family member who works for the court system.