Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Alistair Thomas Alistair Thomas is offline

Default Inserting variable images into a mail merge

Hi Graham, that nailed it, thanks.

Why updating links on save is buried in 'Web Options' when there is a
perfectly good tab called 'Save' with its own options is beyond me, as is why
updating links should corrupt references to the C-Drive only.

Thousands of man-years of development, I suppose you have to expect some
oddities. All I can say, is thank goodness for folks with encyclopaedic
knowledge of these complex apps. Much appreciated.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I have not noticed this - maybe because I store only applications on my C
drive and all my data on the D drive? However, see if tools options
general web options files uncheck 'Update Links on Save' helps?

Alistair Thomas wrote:
I've followed the information you've provided both here and on your
personal site to create a merge document that successfully uses
images from a location on my D-Drive. Thank you for the help - I wish
Word did this more intuitively as this is n obvious thing to want to
do (I'll look for it in Word 2007).

My problem is that if I use a location on my C-Drive, it creates new
merged documents that display images correctly, but when I save the
merged document itself, it replaces the path with a series of
"../../../../../../" and I think it replaces the merge field with its
value and appends "\*MERGEFORMAT" to the end of the line. References
the D-Drive work fine. Once the field has been smashed, using 'Undo'
offers to 'Undo Link Update'. I've looked for ways to turn off link
updates on save but can't find anything. Why should references to the
C-Drive behave differently from any others?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

See http://www.gmayor.com/mail_merge_graphics.htm

Kamitsukenu wrote:
Hello there,

I've got a mail merge which needs a different bitmap dependant on
which country the letter is being sent to. Is this possible, and if
so how?

Thanks in advance for your help,

Kamitsukenu