Format | Borders and Shading. Select the desired border style and weight,
then click on the bottom of the square in the preview. For more, see
http://word.mvps.org/FAQs/TblsFldsFms/Borders.htm If you want to add the
border to the header style, then you'll need two different header styles.

"Berlie" wrote in message
Thank you,

I understood how to make the first page header different, but how do I add

bottom border to the headers?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

To have a different header on the first page of a section (different in

any
way, including borders), you must check the "Different first page" box

on
the Layout tab of Page Setup. This gives you a separate First Page

Header in
which you can insert different text or format it differently. For more,

see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/HeaderFooter.htm

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Berlie" wrote in message
news
How can I create a bottom border below on all headers in a section

except
the
first page?

I can see how to create a page border that places a border above the

headers
but not below them.

I tried inserting a bottom border in the header view but it does not

place
border under the entire header area and on the odd (? may have been

the
even)
pages it doesn't go under the page numbers.

Any suggestions?