Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default replacing blocked text

I don't recall the previous discussion indicting either of those causes
specifically, but indeed, I do have SnagIt, and I do have the ruler turned
off in Print Preview (didn't know it was supposed to be on).

Of course, I would love to lay all these things at Adobe's door; they do so
many dumb things that it's very tempting to blame them (or Symantec) for
everything. g

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
IIRC, I think we had a private discussion on this and didn't we find
that the SnagIt add-in had something to do with it? Depending on the
version it may not display in the COM Add-ins dialog box since. I
forget which version was a "per machine" instead of a "per user"
installation.

Either that or another discussion I recall is didn't you turn your
ruler off for Print Preview? There was a specific sequence that would
result in the ruler also ending up being turned off the next time you
created a new document. Let's see...here you go, these steps should
reproduce it:

- Switch to Print Preview
- Turn off the display of the ruler
- Close Print Preview
Result: Ruler still displays
- Create a new document
Result: Ruler is turned off.

So this one is indeed a bug , however it does have a set of
reproducible steps and it isn't random.

I'm not sure about the Acrobat toolbar. I do know their add-ins are
poorly designed and without being able to see their code that one may
remain a mystery...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote in message
Well, I'd love to know which add-in is monkeying with my ruler
display. I
want it ON, always, in every document, all the time, but I can have
it on in
one session and it's off in the next, on in the current document and
off in
the next one I open (in a given session), no matter how many times I
save
and close documents (and Word) with the ruler displayed. My add-ins

DataPrompter.dot
TaskPaneController.dot
PDFMaker.dot

Also, another slight mystery: ever since I added a Ruler button to
my
Standard toolbar (to facilitate turning the blamed thing on), the
Acrobat
toolbar, which I had to the right of it, is not displayed at startup
even
though there's still room for it (barely). Even when I turn it on in
a given
session and have it displayed when I quit Word, it isn't there the
next
time. Not a real issue, since I can easily display it when I need it
(which
is fairly infrequently)--just one more mystery (and really
surprising given
the usual persistence of that particular toolbar).

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I know we've been down this road before, Graham, but I still do not
concur with a minor bug that randomly changes the Registry. If it
were
then the Registry key would be rebuilt which would reset it to the
defaults and "Typing replaces selection" is not a default setting.

I've investigated similar situations, "unexplained changes to user
preferences", and each and every time we've found the cause. The
gremlin has always been a third-party add-in or a document/template
that contains a macro that is responsible for this type of
behavior.
Someone recorded a macro to make a change to Tools/Options and not
edit their macro to remove the options that do not apply and the
macro
is in an add-in or template. Even some of the Microsoft templates
change user preferences so it's not uncommon. I'll bet if we polled
everyone who has encounter this situation and had them list every
add-in they have installed or template they used we'd find the
culprit.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton
Microsoft Office MVP

MVP FAQ site: http://mvps.org/

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
Word 2003 has a minor bug that causes random changes to the
registry
key that holds the settings. If it becomes a problem you will
need a
macro solution to fix it.

Mrs Tabs wrote:
Thank you Graham - the same thing happened to me and your answer
has
solved the problem. But does anyone know why does the programme
suddenly change like this of its own accord?

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

Check tools options edit typing replaces selection.

greenie wrote:
I used to be able to block text and type a letter which would
replace the entire text. Now, when I block the text and type
letter, the letter is just added at the end of the blocked
text.

Also, I used to be able to block text and press "backspace"
and
the
block text would be erased. Now when I block text and press
"backspace," the cursor just goes to the beginning of the
blocked
text.

WHY IS IT DOING THIS!?!!!

Blocked text + delete works just fine though.