Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Larry Larry is offline

Default Another great example of how Word 2007 "brings commands closer to the surface"

No, that wouldn't be my ideal because my personal set up is one that I
evolved according to my needs and preferences. I don't think my preferences
would apply to other people. That's what Word is (or was) supposed to be
about--customizability. That's why we call our computers _personal_
computers.

However, as Word comes out of the box, there are infinite annoying things
about it that can only be solved by a person who (1) has a high Annoyance
Quotient (AQ), and (2) has a strong interest in customization and desire to
learn some VBA programming. Everyone else, i.e. 99.5 percent of the
population, is basically going to be stuck in the clunky, ugly realm of
Word's default settings. But that Word provides (or used to provide) that
awesome customization capacity to those who want it is wonderful.

(Remember, Beth, what we had to do to get the horizontal and vertical scroll
bars _never_ to appear on their own. That is a good example of Word's
built-in annoyance factor.)

Larry

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I'm glad you're laughing. :-)

I honestly wasn't joking about thinking of you. I know your ideal program
would be one that once the installation is complete to walk you through

your
screen setup. Such as, provide an empty toolbar and a set of commands to
pick from, walk through remapping the keyboard, and in the end, display a
view similar to Full Screen view along with your single toolbar, all right
out of the box.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
LOL.

I'm laughing, but I'm miserable. :-)

... And still in a state of amazement and fury at what MS has done.

"Beth Melton" wrote in message
I think it's impossible to persuade you in general, Larry. ;-)

If you want the truth, when I saw the new UI you were one of the first
people that came to mind. I thought, oh my, when Larry sees this he'll

have
a heart attack. I'm thankful to see you've taken a look at it and are

still
around. grin

Beth Melton

"Larry" wrote in message
Ok, Beth, I understand that you feel it's impossible to persuade me
that
trashing and replacing Word's total interface and method of operation

was
for the Greater Good.