Posted to microsoft.public.word,microsoft.public.word.general,microsoft.public.word.pagelayout
Jezebel

Default Simultaneous Left and Right Justification

If you want chapter and verse on what a good justification algorithm has to
do, read Donald Knuth's paper 'On breaking a paragraph into lines' -- it's
the algorithm used in Tex and (I'm told) in later versions of PageMaker. It
calls for very intensive processing...

"Graham Mayor" wrote in message
You *may* prefer the layout with tools options compatibility - "Do
full justification like WordPerfect 6.x for Windows" checked.

Jezebel wrote:
Bear in mind that Word's justification algorithm is really pretty
cruddy. For anyone who cares about the aesthetics of typography, the
result is not acceptable. You'll notice that Microsoft themselves
don't use it in most of their manuals.

"Peter Olcott" wrote in message
There is probably another term for this, and if I knew what that
term was I could look up the answer to me problem. I found an MS
word file on the internet the other night that was formatted such
that both its left margin, and its right margin were aligned to
perfectly straight lines. I want to know how I can make this work on
my existing MS Word files. I think that it has to do with kerning,
but, when I selected this feature it did not have this result. Thanks