Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement
Paul at work

Default How do I correct a stubborn gap in footnote numbering for Word

Thanks for suggestion on Track Changes, but still no #17 footnote when Track
Changes disabled. And yes, I did move #17 by dragging reference mark in doc
(not by working in footnote text.

Is there a type of "reveal codes" command that will show me possible phantom
code that I can remove to restore proper sequence?

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Do you have Track Changes enabled? If so, numbering will not be straightened
out till you accept the changes. If not, did you move the footnote by
dragging or cutting/pasting the footnote reference mark in the document
(which is the correct way to do it)?

"Paul at work" Paul at wrote in message
After relocating a footnote #17 in doc I now have a gap with no #17.

After
all efforts to renumber sequentially, a gap remains (even if converted to
A,B,C letters instead of numbers) and even if converted to endnotes

instead
of footnotes.

Is there imbedded code for phantom #17 that I can remove to restore
consecutive numbers?