Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Jay Freedman Jay Freedman is offline

Default Converet plain text to table

On Sat, 08 Mar 2008 19:23:26 +0200, geotso wrote:

then, "Suzanne S. Barnhill" climbed to the rostrum and said:
I would start by using wildcards to replace any number of spaces with a tab,

And what is the expression for this, please?
I've tried " {2,}" (no quotes - starting empty space) and Word (2007) warns
me that the expression is not valid.

That expression works in my copy of Word 2007, and it should work in yours. If
you can't make it work, then try surrounding the space character (but not the
{2,}) in square brackets:

[ ]{2,}

Also, in your initial post you mentioned that the name and time may be separated
by an assortment of spaces and tabs. You can replace the whole lot in one
wildcard search by using the expression

[ ^9]{2,}

That is, the space is still in the brackets, plus the numeric code for a tab
character (see http://www.gmayor.com/replace_using_wildcards.htm for a list of
codes).

then use Table | Convert | Table to Text, separating at tabs. If the Replace
operation results in multiple tabs between elements, replace those with a
single tab before converting.

Once again, what is the expression for "multiple tabs"?
I've tried "^t{2,}" (no quotes) with the same as above results...

Thank you very much

To search for multiple tabs, use an expression like the one above with the ^9
code, but leave out the space character. As explained in Graham's article, codes
such as ^t and ^p don't work in the Find What box of a wildcard search, only in
the Replace With box (and in both boxes for a non-wildcard search).

--
Regards,
Jay Freedman