Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
mwballenger mwballenger is offline

Default adding names to a recipient file

I've been having a similar issue, and looking at other newsgroups, it does
not seem to be isolated. What I haven't found is a resolution

When editing a name in the recipient list of the mail-merge, I am unable to
save the data file (in Word) that the mail-merge data is being drawn from.
When I go to close the Word application, it asks to save the merged file,
then to update the data file. When I go to update the data file, it gives me
one of two errors--depending on whether I'm saving to a network or local
drive:

If saving to a network drive, I get a "read only" file error.
If saving to a local drive I get a "permission to write" error.

I've tried this with .docx and doc extensions for the data file, with the
same error. I've been able to duplicate the error on multiple machines (all
running XP and Office 2007 Enterprise). The data file is in table format in
Microsoft Word, I've not attempted to duplicate the issue using Access or
Excel data files.