Posted to microsoft.public.word.pagelayout

Default How do I keep custom page size from changing automatically?

You need to set the page margins such that they will constrain the text area
to the size you want for the 7" x 10" page. You then need to set the header
and footer margins such that they will be at the desired position within the
7" x 10" space, that is, within the rectangle you have created.

For example, suppose you want 0.75" margins on all sides of the 7" x 10"
page. You must add this amount to the amount of margin required to make up
the difference between 7" x 10" and 8.5" x 11":

8.5" - 7" = 1.5"
1.5"/2 = 0.75"
0.75" + 0.75" = 1.5"
So your side margins would be 1.5" (you may not want them to be uniform--you
may want a gutter on the inside--in which case you adjust accordingly,
keeping the total equal to 3".

11" - 10" = 1"
1"/2 = 0.5"
0.5" + 0.75" = 1.25"
So your top and bottom margins would be 1.25" (again, you can make them
uneven provided the total is 2.5").

You then set the header margin to, say, 1", which will put it 0.25" from the
top of your text area. If there is no footer, then you may want to increase
the top margin to allow more space between the header and the text body and
leave a smaller bottom margin.

You then need to create the crop marks so that they will be *outside* the 7"
x 10" space. Keep in mind that the directions in the cited article were for
a 6" x 9" page, so you can't follow them exactly.

"Mattajang" wrote in message
I made the 6 x 9 crop marks as well as the rectangle to visualize the page
size. When typing in the header is it supposed to appear above the

horizontal
crop marks? It seems to me that it would be chopped off from the body of

the
main text and there would be no header. When I change the size of the
header/footer then the crop marks change too. Thanks for helping; I'm not
too good with using Word yet.

"Suzanne S. Barnhill" wrote:

Stop spinning your wheels. Whenever you try to set a custom size that is
very close to one of the built-in sizes (and these are provided by your
printer driver, BTW, not Word), Word will keep defaulting back to the
built-in size. Your only recourse is to adjust margins accordingly.

But--and this is a very big but--it is very unlikely that your publisher
really wants you to set the book up for 7" x 10" paper. He wants you to

set
up for this page size, which is quite a different thing. Envision your

7" x
10" page, including the desired margins, and then set margins on Letter
paper that will give you the required size text block (including header

and
footer, if any). You can, if you want, print an outline (like a page

border)
or crop marks to indicate the page placement (see
http://sbarnhill.mvps.org/WordFAQs/CropMarks.htm).

Your publisher should be able to work with this. At least, that's the

way I
do it when I typeset a 6x9 book. I send the book to the commercial

printer
as a press-quality PDF, and he handles the imposition from there.

newsgroup so
all may benefit.

"Mattajang" wrote in message
Forgot to mention this is for Microsoft Word 2003

"Mattajang" wrote:

I'm trying to set my paper size to custom 7 x 10. I then go to the

layout tab
and select my settings there. When I go back to the other tabs to

recheck
everything, the paper size has automatically changed from the custom

7 x
10
setting I chose to B5 7.17 x 10.12. Why is it doing this? Someone

please
help! I specifically need 7 x 10 for my publisher's book

specifications.
I've
never had this problem before; it just started doing this. Thanks

for
any
help you can give!