Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default How to detect symbol/special character code.

If you know the character code for it, you can search using ^[character
code] (e.g., ^0124). If you don't have any idea how it was inserted and if
it doesn't survive pasting, then it's hard to know what to tell you. You
might try looking at the Insert Symbol offerings to see if you can figure
out what the character code for it is.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible

"Jeff Ingman" wrote in message
Thanks for the post Herb.

I use your suggestion below when it works... but I sometimes run across
symbols that do copy/paste into the search/replace boxes.

And in the case I ran across this morning I could not find a specific
symbol
in the "special characters' box... (which I do not find in Excel by the
way... only in Word).

The character looked like a little squre box... but the sides were either
missing or very faint... sort of like a square bullet but it was something
else.

jeff

"Herb Tyson [MVP]" wrote:

Usually, if you copy one of the target characters to the clipboard, you
can
paste it into the Find what: field and it will work just fine.

Many special characters can also be inserted into Find what: or Replace
with: by clicking the More button in the Find and Replace dialog box,
and
then clicking Special.

--
Herb Tyson MS MVP
Author of the Word 2007 Bible
Blog: http://word2007bible.herbtyson.com
Web: http://www.herbtyson.com

"Jeff Ingman" wrote in message
I often find symbols in MS documents I'd like to remove or replace with
something else.

Is there a way to detect the underlying code of a symbol or special
character to use for "Search and Replace"?