Graham Mayor

They refined Search in the new version and unlike the previous - it
actually works!! (Although I don't think Microsoft can ever replace
Google...)

Google have royally screwed up the newsgroup search function; and the main
search function of Google is being rapidly swallowed by advertising. Greed
may yet kill the usefulness of Google.

Beth Melton wrote:
"Gordon" wrote in message
Beth Melton wrote:
Besides....do you really think it is really *that* 'orrible?

It's not just the style, it's the fact that most of the repetitive
questions are asked by newbies who don't realise that you click on
the "+" sign to see replies,

The version they released in June will expand the full thread after
you click anywhere on the subject and you *have* to click in order to
read the post:

http://www.microsoft.com/office/comm...an g=en&cr=US

and can't be bothered to go to any previous pages to see posts etc
etc etc!

I hear you on that! I think reading previous posts and searching is an
issue for many posters but the web interface does bring many
participants who don't understand how newsgroups are utilized. They
did incorporate an "Ask a Question Wizard" which is invoked from the
Office 2003 applications and from various links on the Microsoft site
which forces a search prior to asking a question and I think that has
helped some but I can't say for sure.

The search function is not as good as a proper newsreader

They refined Search in the new version and unlike the previous - it
actually works!! (Although I don't think Microsoft can ever replace
Google...g)

neither can you set it to "show replies to my posts",

Other than searching for posts with your name, no there isn't a
feature. I've suggested they incorporate a "My Posts" option in Show
drop down. Hopefully it, and other filter options, will be added in
the next version.

although the notification must be a recent innovation AFAIK......

Yes, it was introduced in the new version. One can subscribe for
notifications on any thread.

Thanks for taking the time to add your feedback, Gordon. I'm
interested in any additional feedback you may have after taking a look
at the new interface. :-)

Attached Images