Ian M. Walker

Default How do I get the filename to auto-update in the header?

I can put the filename into headers via the "insert" and "field" menus but
these do not auto-update. The help suggests using the options on the header
and footer menu for auto-updates but for some reason filename is not an
option for me in Word 2003. I'm convinced that I used to use that in my
footers all the time so I don't know why it would be missing in this latest
version. Also, the first menu in headers and footers "Insert auto-text" is
greyed out.

Can anybody help me with the auto-updating of filenames in my header and
also explain why this is missing from the headers and footers menu?

Thank you.

Office 2003 with Windows XP SP2