Posted to microsoft.public.word.newusers
Daddy Daddy is offline

Default Word's Spell Checker Joins the French Foreign Legion

When Word's spelling checker marks an alleged misspelling for correction,
and I tell it to 'ignore' the alleged error, Word will ignore the alleged
error for the current session. However, the next time I open the document,
I'll often see the very same alleged misspellings flagged all over again.
It's as if Word 'forgot' what I previously told it to ignore.

I've noticed this in Word 2002, 2003 and now in Word 2007, which makes me
think this is expected behavior, for some reason. To me, this doesn't make
sense, so perhaps I'm misunderstanding something. Shouldn't Word remember on
a per-document basis which misspellings to ignore? (Perhaps it should store
this information in the document metadata.)

For example: A document I'm working on now explaining the differences
between the serial and parallel interfaces includes the acronym IDE, which
is flagged as a spelling error. If I add IDE to my custom dictionary, and
later leave off the 's' in the word 'side' Word will not catch that mistake.
So instead, I ask Word to 'ignore all' instances of IDE in this document.
But the next time I open my document, there is IDE flagged as a spelling
error again.

Daddy