Posted to microsoft.public.word.docmanagement

Default Can't find new Normal.dotm in Word 2007

For a time we thought that a new Normal.dot or Normal.dotm was not created
until there was a change, but I think perhaps it turned out to be the case
(at least for Normal.dot) that it was created on exiting the program after
the first use. But I could be wrong!

"FJ" wrote in message
Hi, actually, I just thought of something: is it that a change has to be
made to the normal.dotm before it will appear in the templates folder?
I've
never made a change to my normal template before so I'm not sure, but
that's
the way it seems. Maybe that's the obvious thing I was missing. :}

If anyone can confirm this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!

"FJ" wrote:

Hi, I have kind of a weird problem. My normal template was accidentally
altered so I closed Word, renamed my normal.dotm file, and assumed that
the
next time I opened Word a new normal.dotm would be created. It seems
that it
was, since the accidental customizations in the old normal template are
now
gone.

The problem is that I can't find the new normal.dotm anywhere. It
doesn't
seem to be in the same folder as the old one I renamed. When I go to the
Office Button, click Open, and click on "Recently changed", I can see a
shortcut to the normal.dotm along with a shortcut to the old normal.dotm,
but
the actual file is not listed anywhere else. Can anyone tell me why I
can't
see the actual new normal.dotm? This might be a problem if I have to
rename
it again in the future. I realize that there might be something really
obvious that I'm missing but right now I'm baffled. The old normal
template
is located in: C:\MyName\AppData\Roaming\Microsoft\Templates. Does this
sound right? I'm using Word 2007 with Windows Vista.

Thanks in advance for any information.