Posted to microsoft.public.word.mailmerge.fields
Graham Mayor

Default mergefield time format switch ignored

When I configure times (the same times) in an Excel sheet and format it this
way - the data comes across correctly as
12:05:00 AM without a switch and formats according to whatever switch is
added

Pauline Evans wrote:
In Excel, when I select one of these cells and do Format Cells, it
comes up showing the cell formatted as Number, Category Time, Type
13:30. In the line at the top that shows the contents of the cell, it
says 12:05:00 AM, which it says regardless of which time format I
choose. (If I change it to Date format, that does change, but I made
a point of not using a Date format.)

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

The only effect this has is to give a choice of conversion options.
It will have to be made on all machines as you suspect. I still
think there must be something amiss with your Excel data formatting
as I cannot recreate the problem.

Pauline Evans wrote:
I had read about the possibility of using DDE, and will try it, but
I was concerned about possible unintended side effects since I am
designing this for use by other people in my group, and I would (I
assume) have to make this change to Word option settings on each PC
where someone might need to use this document. What other effects
might this change have? I don't know of any other mailmerge
documents being used but I'm not familiar with every document used
within my group.

"Graham Mayor" wrote:

I have tried, but can't reproduce this. If you enter a time in
Excel as 00:05 then Excel gives this a custom format of hh:mm. The
underlying data in Excel (see the command line) is 00:05:00. If you
format the cells as TIME then depending on which format you select
the time could be shown as 00:05:00 AM.

You could get the results you report if the times in Excel are
formatted as dates, but I would have thought that would have been
obvious.

If you are sure that your times are correctloy formatted then use
the alternative connection method to attach your data file - see
the Excel data section of

Pauline Evans wrote:
I am doing a merge from Excel 2003 to Word 2003, and the field is
formatted as time in Excel (just time, no date). In Word I am
trying to use a format switch to format the time since I read
that Word just gets the raw data from Excel. My field is written
as { mergefield Time \@ "HH:mm" }, which for a value in Excel of
0:05 should give me 00:05 but instead gives me 12/30/1899
12:05:00 AM. I have tried adding or taking away spaces, single
vs. double quotes or no quotes, varying time formats, and the
result is always the same. I have searched forums for an answer
and have seen other people with the same question but have not
yet seen an answer beyond what I have already tried.